Friday, September 19, 2008

Two Days of Gourmet Food... and even more perks!

Last Tuesday, I had an OB appt. and was put on "chair rest" (or at least, that's what I call it). He said I wasn't on bed rest, but I can't really leave the house, can't cook or clean (that's the same), I have to keep my feet up for the majority of the day and I'm not supposed to go anywhere (did I mention that?). So the difference? I guess I just don't have to lie in bed all day. I can sit in a chair all day. He showed me how far off the scale I was compared to a singleton pregnancy (I'm 30 weeks and measuring 37... that's how far along I was when I had Abby! And I am now, officially, the heaviest I have ever been- 157 lbs. I was 156 when I gave birth to Abby). Oh and I have braxton hicks (practice contractions) about every 1/2 hour now so they are a little "concerned".


Here's the food part: People in my ward, Paul and my wonderful friends have been keeping us in delicious food for a couple of weeks, but the last couple of days, I have eaten some of the most amazing food of my life! Maybe part of that is that eating is one of the few things I can still do... VERY well I might add. So, Paul made a delicious stir-fry on Wednesday night with brown rice- mmmmmm. The next day, my amazing cook friend Jenny brought her kids over to play with Abby and made the best, no THE BEST sandwich I have ever eaten: BLT's (with a real garden tomato) on home-baked sourdough bread and the spread? Well, it was this cream cheese pesto thing she (and I- just because I hate mayo so she substituted the cream cheese) made. I cannot explain how wonderful this sandwich was! Then, that very night (last night) was my monthly Cooking Club meeting. Now I know I'm not supposed to go anywhere, but seriously, a girl has to eat, and I just went from my car seat to a chair in a house and my wonderful friends brought the food to me. I have never been happier to just sit and eat. From the tomato tart and bruschetta appetizers to the roast turkey (as in the turkey was roasted and carved) apple and brie panini main course to the fresh from the back yard apple pie for dessert (plus the side dishes and peach lemonade)- all of it local produce- even the turkey! It made all of the heartburn I had all last night (even though I loaded up on Zantac and Maalox) totally worth it! Oh! Don't think Abby and Paul were left out... the lovely neighbour brought over tons of food for their dinner which, I'm sure we'll be finishing up tonight. So, this morning, I am reveling in the left-overs, when Jenny calls and says she is coming over to bring pumpkin pancakes with homemade spicy syrup (it was even warm!). If you would like the recipes, check out our Cooking Club blog by clicking HERE.

3 comments:

The Ostheds said...

Wow! That is awesome! I am glad that people are watching out for you! You deserve it! I am glad that you are only on "chair" rest! Reading this post made me very hungry! Time for lunch!

The Ostheds said...

I just re-read my comment. There sure are a lot of exclaimation marks!!!

Chellers said...

Holy Guacamole! That meal makes me want to be "chair ridden" with twins too. Oh wait, no, I'm remembering what it's like to be pregnant with ONE....so I think I'll pass. And yes, I know that ONE doesn't look a THING like Peej. Think he's worried? ;-)