Saturday, September 20, 2008

Our Night at Labor and Delivery

Last night, my contractions, although not painful, were getting pretty close, so I went to the hospital to make sure everything was okay. Luckily, it is only 2 blocks from my house. Well, it turns out, the contractions were pretty regular at 5 minutes apart so after monitoring me and the babies for a while, they decided to do a cervix check and a fetal fibronectin test. The great news is that I'm still not dilated at all and the fFN test came back negative so that means no delivery for at least 2 weeks. Whoo! Also, the babies were so active they kept kicking off the monitors so the nurse was not worried about them at all... little stinkers. The bad news is that I have a little infection which is what they think was causing all of the contractions in the first place so, I'm on an antibiotic and hopefully that will keep those puppies at bay.

So, after a long evening, we got home about 12:30 AM and found my friend Heather, who had been watching Abigail, had cleaned and organised our living room and kitchen top to bottom. I wanted to cry. I am so fortunate to have a monopoly on the best friends around. Hopefully we will not have any other scares. The babies will be born perfectly healthy at 36 or 37 weeks and will already be on a good schedule and will never cry and eat perfectly well, etc. etc.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow! How nice. Heather is so nice.
You know, that isn't too much to ask after you gave birth to them! I mean, do they really need to cry?

Chellers said...

Holy scary. I totally understand your angst....I was having contractions 5 minutes apart for 2 hours four days before PJ was to come to Houston, so he ended up changing his flight and coming early. Then it all stopped once he arrived. Nice, huh? These kids know how to stress us out and make us pay extra money and all that. I'm SURE it will stop once they're born, though....

Stephanie said...

Crazy!!! That was a close call scare! I'm glad your not having them now though. . .you've got to wait until your mom gets here. You better tell the twins that there will be no peaking until Grandma gets into town.

jeri said...

That's exactly what put me into labor with Parker -9 weeks early! You're lucky you're so in tune with your body and were able to recognize it and get it taken care of early. I had dilated to a 3 before we got it stopped. Good luck with these last few weeks... it's almost over!