Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Simon was WRONG!

I cannot believe I just wrote that but I felt on a couple of performances last night he was WAY off on his judgments! It was another Beatles themed night and this one, overall, was a lot worse than last week. Here's where Simon went wrong:

First, Carly who sang a beautiful rendition of "Blackbird", my absolute favorite Beatles song of all time was panned for being "over-indulgent". Whatever! I thought she did a great job... and I am ULTRA-sensitive when it comes to the Beatles and especially that song.

Second, Syesha and her "fingernails on the chalkboard" arrangement of the brilliant, "Yesterday"; a song that has one of the most beautiful melodies ever written. Talk about over-indulgent! It was absolutely ridiculous and absolutely DESTROYED the understated simplicity that makes the song so amazing. Of course, Randy and Paula loved it... whatever... but Simon really surprised me at agreeing with them... C'mon! Were we listening to the same song?

I was so pleased that David Archutela made a fantastic comeback... one of the few bright spots of the night. Who's going home? I think it's the end of the road for Kristy Lee Cook... she should if only for last week's slaughter of "8 Days a Week". Although Michael Johns should have just stayed home last night... to even think that a song with so many nuances and changes like "A Day in the Life" could be condensed into a minute and a half and still retain it's original punch? What was he on?

5 comments:

Sarah said...

First - I love that you know so much about the beatles, it helps to have someone know more than me about beatles
Second - i love that you love american idol

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

WHAT THE HECK? Carly was in the bottom 3? Did only people on CRACK vote this week. Oh well, b-bye Amanda "one trick pony"!

Anonymous said...

You make me giggle...

Dawn {:-)

Andrea said...

Great post. I had to change the channel during Syesha. I also love Blackbird, but wasn't overly fond of Carly's performance, but I think it's because I hate watching her sing. Michael Johns needs to step it up - as soon as he said what he was singing, I felt this sense of impending doom. Way to go David Archuleta, if I had an Ipod, I would download you. Although Amanda IS from Indiana, I wasn't sorry to see her go. But you are right, Kristy Lee Cook deserves some severe punishment for 8 Days a Week.

Tish Solomon said...

You make me laugh. I can just see you saying that and the expression on your face and everything... being home I have sunshine but not the same idols, so I can't comment on any performances... Blackbird is my favourite song too. i used to play it on the piano and sing... love that!